Available to CFSA General Liability and/or Workers’ Compensation pool program member district agricultural association (DAA) fairs, county government fairs, and nonprofit fairs (when the borrower is a public entity such as the county), the Loan Program could be one of CFSA’s most under-the-radar opportunities.
In 1992, CFSA’s board of directors set aside funds from risk pool reserves to fund an Equipment Loan Program. In years since, the program has grown steadily – in its use, its funding and in its scope.
In 2013, the Equipment Loan Program became simply, the Loan Program to better reflect the program’s expanded scope and added line-of-credit option. The Loan Program now offers $1.5 million in available funding.
Loans can be used for:
- Purchasing and/or leasing equipment.
- Refinancing a purchase or lease of equipment. Equipment is to be of a fixed asset nature, not consumables. The loan amount is limited to the cost of the equipment plus finance charges, interest and legal services.
- Funding of a public capital repair project; a public capital improvement project including new construction; and refinancing of public capital improvement projects.
All capital projects must be inspected by the California Construction Authority.
- Line of credit to fund operations. The borrower must be a DAA or a department of a county or other public entity within the state of California. The line of credit is to fund fair operations for a short-term period not to exceed 12 months.
The line of credit must be brought to a $0 balance for 30 days prior to renewal. Advances may be made from time to time and in amounts the borrower chooses with the total not to exceed a fixed principle amount. Promissory Note and Security Agreements accompany the line of credit agreement, and the Promissory Note is to be secured by a security interest in and to certain revenue sources of the borrower. The borrower must purchase Revenue Protection Insurance. A monthly payment of interest is required and there is no penalty for pre-payment.
For equipment loans, public capital repair loans, and public capital improvement loans, interest rates are calculated:
- 6 points above the current Local Agency Investment Fund (LAIF) interest rate for $0 – $15,000 borrowed.
- 5 points above the current LAIF interest rate for $15,001 – $50,000 borrowed.
- 4 points above the current LAIF interest rate for $50,001 and above borrowed.
Interest Rates for lines of credit are:
- 4 points above the current LAIF interest rate.
Loan applications are to include:
- Current year budget authorization and financial statements from two prior years.
- Current financials (income statement and balance sheet).
- Recommendation from the Branch of Fairs & Expositions.
- Recommendation from CFSA’s chief financial officer.
- Completed loan agreements.
For an application or more information about the Loan Program, please contact Raechelle Gibbons, CFSA’s chief financial officer, (916) 263-6143, email@example.com or Rebecca Desmond, CFSA’s deputy executive director, at (916) 263-6161, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about this program, please contact Raechelle Gibbons.