Special Events Program: Exclusively for Fairground Facility Users
California Fair Services Authority (CFSA) is authorized to pool Special Events Liability Protection for fair facility lessees, concessionaires, exhibitors and other special events operators and participants for non-hazardous activities (listed on the Rate Card, effective January 1, 2019).
This coverage, limited to activities at California fairgrounds, is similar to commercial general liability coverage and conforms to state requirements for special events operators. Read our Special Events Summary of Protection for a program overview or the Memorandum of Coverage (MOC) for a detailed program description. The MOC is available in your fair’s Red Book (Claims and Loss Reporting Guide) under General Liability, Tab 4, or from Tom Amberson, CFSA’s Risk Department manager, at email@example.com or (916) 263-6180.
Note: To access the online summary, you need Acrobat Reader on your computer. If you don’t already have it, you can quickly download it for free from the Adobe Web site: www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.
Applying for Special Events Coverage?
Tips for Fair Facility Lessees, Concessionaires, Exhibitors, Special Events Operators, more!
Tips for Fair Staff, 2019 Special Events Procedures
In the Event of an Accident, here’s what to do…
2019 Special Events Program Brochure
Special Events Receipt form
Are you a fair facility lessee, concessionaire, exhibitor or other special events operator or event participant? Here’s how to apply for Special Events liability coverage available from the fairgrounds on which your event is being held. Stop by the fair’s main office at least five days before your event and have a fair representative fill out a Special Events Coverage Receipt for you. (Coming from out of town closer to the event? Call the fair office ahead of your arrival and ask them how they would like to handle it .)
You can pay for your coverage with a credit card, a money order or a cashier’s check made out to CFSA. It’s as easy as that.
Tips for fair staff: The Special Events Receipt is short and easy to complete; simply follow the tips provided on this page or in your fair’s Red Book (Claims and Loss Reporting Guide) under General Liability, Tab 4. Note: Instructions for filling out the online form have changed. You’ll find the new online form, here. Information marked by an asterisk (*) is required.
• If a covered special events operator has separate exhibitors, a security company or anyone else participating in the event, each additional person must provide proof of liability insurance.
• Set-up and take-down days are covered at no extra charge. But the set-up and tear- down dates must be noted on the Special Events Receipt!
• When completing the Special Events Receipt, confirm that the days specified on the form are the exact dates specified in the contract or rental agreement.
• When using the online form, remember to print out and to staple a copy of program’s Evidence of Coverage to the purchaser’s receipt. You’ll find a link to the Evidence of Coverage at the bottom of the online receipt form.
• Please do not send cash through the mail to CFSA to pay for a fair client’s Special Events coverage. CFSA can only accept credit cards, money orders and cashier’s checks.
• Credit cards: To accept credit cards for the Special Event coverage, you must either 1) in advance, contact Mario Castagnola to set up an account with CFSA’s bank, or 2) call Mario at the time of purchase and provide him with the credit card information. There is no credit card fee. You can contact Mario at (916) 263-6145.
In the Event of an Accident
If an accident occurs, fill out the same Accident Report form used when reporting general liability accidents. Make sure to include the covered special event’s operator’s name and to attach a copy of their Special Events Coverage Receipt and contract. This form can be completed online or printed out and completed. Remember to send all paperwork to CFSA as soon as possible. Even if you’re waiting for additional information, go ahead and send the form into CFSA. Send us the additional details as soon as you have them.
Have questions about Special Events coverage? Contact Mario Castagnola at firstname.lastname@example.org or (916) 263-6145. And here’s a PDF copy of our effective-as-of-January-1-2019 Rate card and our 2019 Special Events Brochure (folding required). If you don’t have any copies of the brochure in your office, please give Mario a call and he will send you a supply – the brochures are great for handing out to interested vendors and event promoters.